Thursday, January 15, 2015

13 Weeks for 13th Triathlon Race...That First Tri

Happy Holidays, Happy New Year!!

Since December everything been up and down, more downs than up but I'm still here.

A weird characteristic about me is that I'm always counting in my head, I count steps, while going up and down stairs, count days, weeks, years, age. So is no surprise that I'm counting weeks until race day!

I've been thinking lately about my approach towards a 70.3 race. It will be longest race to complete in 5 years since started to do tris. So I remembered my first race, how for years I wanted to finish a triathlon. It took 4 weeks to get ready to my first race which was Sprint distance. I was already running and swimming so I increase times I did it per week like friends advice and also started taking spinning classes. My friend Maha lend me her road bike then started biking at a park few times per week as well.

In no time it was race day, June 5th, 2010. Bib number was 23, my favorite number!! Had all my gear ready, nerves were kicking, family was cheering. While waiting for swim wave someone behind me ask if there were gators in the lake....apparently yes!! It is my turn to go to the water and I have to say that its been one of my fastest 400 meters open water!!



Out of the water and ready for transition and off to go to bike, I wanted to die!! two loops, 10 miles later I got out of the bike. This is South Florida, so was soooo hot!! Put bike in rack, got my hat and race belt and off I go to run...ouch! Now I know why they call it a brick! Legs were not responding at all, was so hot, heart in my throat, got so frustrated I started walking right away. My spinning trainer Meredith went to see the race and she jumped right next to me to encourage to walk and run. She never left my side until I saw the finish line. I sprint to finish line and lift my arms in the air, I was a triathlete.





All the emotions of that first race were amazing, I felt that I conquered, felt that was the hardest thing in sport I have done ever!! And for sure was hooked with the sport. Of course, that passion never stopped. 5 years later I'm training for my first 70.3 which 4 to 5 times the distance I did in that first race.

I'm ready? Not yet, still 13 weeks for race number 13! But getting stronger mentally to complete my workouts. 1 workout at a time, 1 day at a time.



I am building a fire, and everyday I train, I add more fuel. At just the right moment, I light the match.” – Mia Hamm

No comments:

Post a Comment